Successful Heroin Rehab Programs and Treatment Centers Talk to Someone Now
7 Great Reasons to Be Clean and Drug Free
There are literally hundreds of good reasons to live a clean and sober life, but some are a bit more convincing than others. Whether you are single or in a relationship, I think the following seven reasons to be clean and drug-free apply:
- To support yourself and your family When you are an addict, it can be extremely difficult to hold a job. The addiction becomes deeper and deeper every day, and soon, you start missing work to chase the high. The high becomes the most important thing, and even though your logical brain knows you need a job to have money to afford your drugs, getting that next hit is more important than going to work. No job means no way to support yourself or your family. You become a burden to those you love. Staying clean allows you to be the provider that you know you can be, both for yourself and others.
- To get friends back In the same way that the high is more important than going to work, it’s also more important than spending time with your friends. The people you hung out with before the addiction took hold will slowly start to fall away as you isolate yourself to get the high. Staying drug-free will allow you to have friends again and treat them as the important part of your life that they are.
- To remain healthy Drugs take a toll on the human body. They damage everything from your nervous system to your skin elasticity. The money you might normally spend on food may readily go to support your drug habit, leaving you undernourished and prone to disease. That’s not even taking into account the types of diseases you become susceptible to through sharing needles. In the end, staying clean and drug-free will help you maintain good health and live a longer, more fulfilling life.
- To get back self-esteem Low self-esteem is common among drug users. You may feel worthless because you have lost your job and friends or depressed because you feel physically ill, and you might think there is no way out. Taking that step to do something good for yourself and getting and staying clean and sober is the first step toward regaining your self-esteem.
- To regain trust When drugs are the most important thing in your life, you let people down. The trust you lose is extremely hard to get back. The first step is making the effort to remain clean and sober. Most of your friends and family will realize that the drugs were the reason you let them down and will give you a second chance. Staying clean and sober is the first step to regaining that trust.
- To be a good role model Whether you have children of your own or not, kids in the family and community will look up to you. Be a strong role model for them by staying clean and drug-free. This is one of the most important ways you can lead by example and show them that drugs are not a path to take.
- To stop the pain Probably the most convincing argument for getting and staying off from drugs is that feeling of coming down. The feeling of pain and hopelessness that accompanies the crash after the high can only be truly eliminated by giving up the drugs. Once you have taken that step, you won’t have the coming-down pain ever again.